Mr. Kilian Walsh

Prostate Cancer/Raised PSA

An elevated PSA in gentleman over the age of 40 can indicate prostatitis and enlarged prostate and sometimes a prostate cancer.  If your GP has checked your PSA and it is elevated, they usually will refer you to a urologist. 

After consultation and digital rectal examination, your urologist would usually recommend a transrectal ultrasound and biopsy (see information leaflet). Following a biopsy, tissue will be sent to the laboratory for histological analysis and the patient would be reviewed with all the histology when available. 

If prostate cancer were found, there are a range of treatment options including active surveillance, radiotherapy, brachytherapy and radical retropubic prostatectomy. 

Your urologist would discuss all those treatment options with you in detail and depending on the stage and grade of the cancer, would recommend an appropriate treatment.

Information Leaflets

TRUS & Biopsy